We acknowledge and thank the First Peoples of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ (hun-kih-meen-um) language group on whose traditional and unceded territories we teach, learn and live.
We are named after the Steves family, early Richmond settlers. Here is a brief history from the City of Richmond archives:
Manoah Steves (1828-1897) and his wife Martha left New Brunswick in 1868, moving first to Ontario and then to Maryland in the United States. On his arrival in British Columbia in 1877 Steves purchased 400 acres in the southwestern portion of Lulu Island.
Steves was one of those who petitioned the province for the incorporation of Richmond as a municipality in 1879 and served on its first Council.
His descendents, including Harold Steves, a long-serving Richmond City Councillor, have continued to farm a portion of his land up to the present day.
Because of the proximity of his farm to the fishing village that emerged in the southwest corner of Lulu Island, the community was named Steveston in honour of this pioneer. Steveston Secondary and Manoah Steves Elementary were given his name as well.
Our school is located in the southwest corner of Richmond, in the Steveston area. We began as an annex to Dixon elementary in 1964/65. In 2003 we became a dual track school. Now parents can opt to enroll their children in one of two excellent programs: our Neighbourhood or Montessori Program. We enroll a total student population of approximately 280 students.